Watch the film “Final Offer” ( you can access it on you tube) and answer the questions provided.
1) What did you learn about unionized employees and workplaces from the scene where an individual worker recites the contractual provision he believes foreman Morris tried to violate concerning work assignments?
2) If the film had occurred in the U.S., what actions could the employer have taken if the cameras it installed revealed a striking worker participated in picket-line misconduct such as vandalism?
3) Explain the impact you think a foreman like Fred Morris would have on the workers’ ability to view themselves to be in partnership with their employer (as Chief Executive Officer Roger Smith expressed he wanted) rather than to be in an adversarial relationship?
4) Utilizing a specific incident from the movie, describe the impact of the union’s internal politics on the union negotiating team, its strategy, or the terms of settlement it pursued.
5) Explain how use of the distributive bargaining process may have helped or harmed GM’s goal of convincing the workers they were in a partnership with their employer.